Re: [SLUG] Open Source handwriting recognition application?

From: Scott Grizzard (scott@scottgrizzard.com)
Date: Mon Jun 22 2009 - 17:16:38 EDT

I like xournal, but will it "read" the writing so users can search it?

Handwriting recognition has always been one of those features that is
"five years off", but it is such a killer app for these doctors that
having it, even if the doctor had to go back and edit corrections later,
would be a game-changer for them.

The big problem with all of these emr systems is it takes tasks that
doctors have been offloading to lesser-paid staff and makes the doctor
deal with them, making doctors less productive. If you could store
patient notes as ink, and then let a doctor's assistant go back through
them and correct an automated "initial rendering", you have gone a long
way towards making EMR systems "productivity enhancing" for doctors.

- - Scott