[SLUG] Open Source handwriting recognition application?

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Tue Jun 23 2009 - 01:36:42 EDT

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, Scott Grizzard wrote:

> I like xournal, but will it "read" the writing so users can search it?

> R P Herrold wrote:
>> I have an application [Xournal, v 0.4.0.1] under Linux [CentOS 5] that
>> captures mouse 'signings' and will emit a PDF (which can be re-coded
>> into to TIFF for OCR purposes, programatically) -- here a Wacom pad, and
>> a conventional PS/2 mouse.
>>
>> http://www.herrold.com/2009-06-22-Note-16-31.pdf
>>
>> I do not know that anything could 'read' what I intended ... it seemed
>> quite combersome.

Xournal does not have inbuilt OCR. I think I noted that a
post process would be needed up front

As to transcription errors, I think in the medical field (as I
watch my doc), there is a limited range of 'bubble grid' DSM
codes, etc, and that the software they run at their office
does not try to solve the general, context-free OCR problem

-- Russ herrold