Re: [SLUG] Open Source handwriting recognition application?

From: Scott Grizzard (scott@scottgrizzard.com)
Date: Mon Jun 22 2009 - 21:28:27 EDT

How much data is the Javascript collecting, compared with other "web
drawing" applications?

You need what?
a) x and y of point
b) pen pressure
c) id of previous point

That would be the "bitmap" way of doing it, and that is "only double"
the normal number of bytes.

You could also do a vector:
a) x and y of point
b) pen pressure
c) vector
d) stroke length
e) id of previous point (if continuous stroke)

but I think, with delicate handwriting, the bitmap way is probably better.

You have to collect the pen data, because that is how Handwriting
recognition figures out the letters (and why, without the stroke
information, it is so hard to do standard OCR on handwriting after the
fact).

- - Scott