Re: [SLUG] Open Source handwriting recognition application?

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Jun 23 2009 - 01:54:15 EDT

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, Scott Grizzard wrote:

> I like xournal, but will it "read" the writing so users can search it?
>
> Handwriting recognition has always been one of those features that is
> "five years off", but it is such a killer app for these doctors that
> having it, even if the doctor had to go back and edit corrections later,
> would be a game-changer for them.
>
> The big problem with all of these emr systems is it takes tasks that
> doctors have been offloading to lesser-paid staff and makes the doctor
> deal with them, making doctors less productive. If you could store
> patient notes as ink, and then let a doctor's assistant go back through
> them and correct an automated "initial rendering", you have gone a long
> way towards making EMR systems "productivity enhancing" for doctors.

AIYI handwriting recognition is much easier when the computer can get x-y-t
information, rather than just x-y. Maybe the OP could restructure the
workflow so the writing happens on a graphic (Wacom-style) tablet or
something like that? That may give you pen pressure too, which might be
useful.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   http://royalty.mine.nu:81

"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!" "Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.