Re: [SLUG] PHP books and web sites

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Jul 03 2009 - 09:52:31 EDT

On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 08:33:56AM -0400, William Coulter wrote:

> I want to start making some PHP programs but don't know where to start.
> What books or web sites should I buy or goto? What do I need to have
> installed to make them work?

On this, I feel I can (finally) reply with authority. The php.net
website has some of the best documentation in existence. Period. The
best book for the language is O'Reilly's "Programming PHP". I keep this
on my desk and refer to it constantly. In the back is a full reference
for functions of the language, only matched by the php.net site. You can
also try O'Reilly's "Learning PHP5".

If you've programmed in C before, you know 90% of PHP. The library
functions of PHP are mostly named and modeled directly after those of
the standard C library. The main differences are that variables are
prefixed with a dollar sign ($), and you have to remember you're
programming inside a browser (usually), and the code is executed on the
server. Plus, being a scripting/interpreted language, PHP doesn't
require pre-declaration of variables the way C does.

If you have no experience with programming, PHP will be harder to learn,
and the above books will help, but may not be enough. I can't help you,
going from non-programmer to PHP programmer. It's been too long since I
was a non-programmer.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster