Re: [SLUG] UPS indicator

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Jul 14 2009 - 23:29:03 EDT

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009, blee2@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

> Thus Eben King hast written on Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 05:19:33PM -0400, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:
>> Ah here, on the 11x17 (both sides!) "User's Manual": "When [battery charge
>> bar] LEDs are flashing, the battery can supply less than the "low battery
>> warning interval" time for the load". So what do you think, loose battery
>> terminal connection? The "low battery warning interval" got set to
>> something crazy like an hour? It alternated between flashing 100% and
>> steady 100%.
>
> If I recall correctly, the ups is supposed to signal the computer that it
> is on battery, then when a configured time interval is elapsed, it sends
> a different signal to the computer(s) so they can prepare to shutdown.
>
> Since it's a Smart-UPS model, you may be able to go in with the software
> and reconfigure the "low battery warning interval".
>
> How old is your UPS?

UPS is a few years old (like 5-8 maybe), and it wasn't new when I got it
from a guy on eBay.

> It sounds like the battery may be getting old and can no longer store enough
> power.

I replaced the batteries maybe a month ago.

> APC has good support, so maybe give them a call?

There's some stuff I need to figure out before I call, like "how is apcupsd
configured", "is it pointing at the right/only serial port", "are the other
parameters correct AFAIK", "is the serial cable connected", "does the serial
port work". Basic troubleshooting steps, so I don't make an ass of myself
on the phone.

> I've had a back-UPS for (YIKES!) 10 years and have gone through at least
> 3 batteries. The last time I checked, new UPSs are only a little
> more than a new battery. APC has a "Trade-UPS" program where you give
> them your old unit and get a discount on a new unit. I've used this
> beneficially at the last company I worked for.
> Make sure you properly dispose of used batteries. Buy a new one from
> APC and they include a box to send the old one back in.

S&H on a UPS is significant because of the weight, compared to going to a
shop and picking up replacement batteries. Last time I think it cost me
$20-$25, either each battery (there are two) or total, I forget. I think
each.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.mine.nu:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone