Re: [SLUG] firefox is seriously dragging

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Jul 16 2009 - 17:26:36 EDT

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Paul Bransford wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>> Firefox crashed yesterday. It's become fat with age, and crashes and
>> leaks too often for my taste. At least it restores its windows and tabs
>> (sometimes even to the same desktop) they were on pre-crash.
>>
>> Anyhow, since then, it's been exceedingly slow. I'm talking minutes to
>> load one tab and I have probably a hundred tabs. Every few minutes it
>> throws up the "script has stopped responding" dialog. That box doesn't
>> show up on XFCE's miniature desktop view, so I have to search for it if
>> nothing's happened for a while. It spends hours trying to come up, then
>> crashes partway through every time so far. I've brought down and up
>> eth0, rebooted the router (the router's a DNS server), changed the DNS
>> server in resolv.conf to the ISP ones, killed and relaunched FF, logged
>> out of and into X, and rebooted the computer(!) to no avail. I thought
>> it was a lack of free space either in {/var/log,/tmp} or in ~ but they
>> have 6.9 GiB and 123 MiB free respectively. I suspect it was an update
>> that FF didn't like. Is there a history of what was changed with
>> apt-get? Is anyone else having this problem? What do you think's
>> causing it? More importantly, what can I do about it?
>
> You are seriously complaining about the browser being slow when you load
> over 100 tabs into it?

It's not normally this slow, not even close. This is an order or two of
magnitude slower than normal. And it crashes while loading, every time so
far (except once when it crashed soon after). And I get that "script has
stopped responding" dialog box, very likely invoked because something times
out while trying to load.

> Dare I ask why you need all that content loaded and waiting in RAM?

"Only" 355M of it is in RAM. The other 495M is swapped out. It's not done
done, the RAM+swap load will be ~1.2G, and due to memory leaks it'll grow
maybe 50 megabytes per day.

> What would you have done before tabs?

Lots of invoking the pagelist to see what's there. Group similar things in
the same window. I used Opera without tabs (even when it got them) because
I liked it that way and for O's zoom/enlarge, until FF's became similar.

> I think this borders on abusing a feature.

Hey, if this is beyond spec they ought to have put in a hard limit. Maybe
they have, and I haven't reached it yet.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      http://royalty.mine.nu:81
AQUARIUS:  There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the