Re: [SLUG] firefox is seriously dragging

From: Shawn J. Goff (shawn7400@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 16 2009 - 23:35:05 EDT

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:46:55 -0400 (EDT)
Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:

> Firefox crashed yesterday. It's become fat with age, and crashes and
> leaks too often for my taste. At least it restores its windows and
> tabs (sometimes even to the same desktop) they were on pre-crash.
>
> Anyhow, since then, it's been exceedingly slow. I'm talking minutes
> to load one tab and I have probably a hundred tabs. Every few
> minutes it throws up the "script has stopped responding" dialog.
> That box doesn't show up on XFCE's miniature desktop view, so I have
> to search for it if nothing's happened for a while. It spends hours
> trying to come up, then crashes partway through every time so far.
> I've brought down and up eth0, rebooted the router (the router's a
> DNS server), changed the DNS server in resolv.conf to the ISP ones,
> killed and relaunched FF, logged out of and into X, and rebooted the
> computer(!) to no avail. I thought it was a lack of free space
> either in {/var/log,/tmp} or in ~ but they have 6.9 GiB and 123 MiB
> free respectively. I suspect it was an update that FF didn't like.
> Is there a history of what was changed with apt-get? Is anyone else
> having this problem? What do you think's causing it? More
> importantly, what can I do about it?

Wow. I would seriously consider changing usage habits. Surely it is
quicker to type in a url (or just something from the page's title) and
let it load that it is to find the page in the labyrinth of pages
you've set up for yourself. And use bookmarks for remembering to (or
not) get back to that article (or 20 articles) you wanted to read. That
little star button in the url bar makes it really easy to
bookmark/unbookmark pages.

On another note, I was seriously considering making a plugin to deal
with this type of usage. I tend to use tabs in two ways. The first is
as a sort of "todo" list. You might be searching for and apartment and
open up 20 or so links in different tabs to easily go through them all
each tab becomes a "TODO: evaluate this apartment". The second is as
"applications". I might have meebo, mibbit, gmail, twitter, pandora, or
some other application that I want to just stay there so I can get to
it. Anyway, the plugin would essentially keep the "applications" tabs
cached in memory, and the todos would have the few most recent of a
group in memory and drop the others to disk. Additionally, dynamic
content (plugins, javascript) would be turned off for the "todo" type
tabs unless they're in view. What do you guys think? Worth while?