Re: [SLUG] firefox is seriously dragging

From: Paul Bransford (draeath@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 17 2009 - 15:11:32 EDT

Eben King wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Eben King wrote:

>>> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Shawn J. Goff wrote:
>>
>> [bookmarks.js]

>>> Yeah, there's over 3000 of them. It includes each tab's history. I
>>> thought of parsing the file programmatically enough to extract them
>>> that way.

>>> Good, I'll see if that works. It might require that the tabs be
>>> loaded before it bookmarks them, which puts me back where I started.
>>> Wait, does that only apply to the tabs in that window? I suspect it
>>> does.
>>
>> It does. It doesn't wait for loading to complete, but it only
>> bookmarks those tabs which are loaded fully.
>>
>> I think I see how the file's structured:
>>
>> ({
>> windows:
>> [(
>> tabs:
>> [(
>> entries:
>> [(
>> url: "http://whatever"
>> title: "Whatever"
>> )]
>> )]
>> )]
>> })
>>
>> Extra spaces and linefeeds added for clarity. Whitespace is generally
>> ignored by compilers. And I still don't know how to make a computer
>> parse it enough to extract each tab's URL. Maybe a two-RE sed command
>> or several of them as part of a big one-liner?
>
> Further clues: gnome-terminal and gthumb don't run, they hang before
> drawing the window. Maybe a library they share is hosed? Lemme try the
> other binaries in the XFCE menu to see which ones successfully draw a
> window ... OK, everything accessible from the menu works except for:
>
> gnome-terminal
> gthumb
> xawtv
>
> It seems they all three share linux-vdso.so.1 . How can I find out if
> anything else uses that library? ldd everything | grep?

What distro do you have?

If you have CentOS or Fedora, you can find out what package installed
that file, and then you can do a query on installed packages to see who
depends on this package. I can give you code for the first, but I don't
know how (but it's possible) do do the dependency search:

yum provides */linux-vdso.so.1 (note the */ is critical)

There's a way to do this for .deb based systems as well, I think you use
a tool (that's not installed by default) called apt-file or something.