Re: [SLUG] firefox is seriously dragging

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Jul 18 2009 - 01:03:31 EDT

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Paul Bransford wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>>
>> Further clues: gnome-terminal and gthumb don't run, they hang before
>> drawing the window. Maybe a library they share is hosed? Lemme try the
>> other binaries in the XFCE menu to see which ones successfully draw a
>> window ... OK, everything accessible from the menu works except for:
>>
>> gnome-terminal
>> gthumb
>> xawtv
>>
>> It seems they all three share linux-vdso.so.1 . How can I find out if
>> anything else uses that library? ldd everything | grep?
>
> What distro do you have?

Ubuntu 8.04.3 (LTS)

> If you have CentOS or Fedora, you can find out what package installed
> that file, and then you can do a query on installed packages to see who
> depends on this package. I can give you code for the first, but I don't
> know how (but it's possible) do do the dependency search:
>
> yum provides */linux-vdso.so.1 (note the */ is critical)
>
> There's a way to do this for .deb based systems as well, I think you use
> a tool (that's not installed by default) called apt-file or something.

Found it, "dpkg --search" I think. No matter, it's a very commonly linked
file. And since its location is a hex number instead of a pathname, that
makes me think it's something like libc, deep in the bowels of the OS.

At any rate, I copied sessionstore.js to ~ and told FF to start a new
session. It's in that JSNO(?) format as was said here. I found a Python
script for parsing it, but it gets an error. Maybe someone speaks Python (I
don't) and can fix it:

,--
| eben@pc:~$ ./parse_sessionstore.py
| File "./parse_sessionstore.py", line 14
| return ch == 't'
| ^
| IndentationError: expected an indented block
'--

What I believe to be line 14's subroutine is:

11 class JSBooleanTrue(object):
12 @staticmethod
13 def isValidStart(ch):
14 return ch == 't'

The whole thing is at

http://tsukasa.net.au/~hg/greg_stuff/file/tip/parse_sessionsstore.py

Right now I'm doing

tr -d ' ' < sessionstore.bak | tr -d '^J' | tr , '\n' | grep '{entries:\[{url:' | less -S

to extract the URLs I need, but it sucks by and large.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!