Re: [SLUG] interesting new game for linux

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sun Jul 19 2009 - 21:27:43 EDT

On Friday 17 July 2009 15:03:36 Paul Bransford wrote:
> William Coulter wrote:
> > I saw this on slashdot today. It looks like some good fun but I haven't
> > heard of these games before. On the website they are asking for $5 for
> > three games for this weekend only.
> >
> > William
> >
> > Are You Afraid? You Will Be...
> > http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2009/07/are-you-afraid-you-will-be.html
> >
> > http://www.penumbragame.com/
>
> Yea, they are well worth it. I recommend them highly.
Hi Paul, William

OK went to the site, paid my 5 bucks, downloaded and installed just fine. Put
the games in my "Games" menu. Go to the menu select and click on a game and I
get a bouncing cursor for about a minute and then it dies.

Then I opened a Konsole and tried to run it there. This is the message I got
on Konsole"
Penumbra: Black Plague exited unexpectedly, please check
/home/bob/.frictionalgames/Penumbra/Black Plague/hpl.log
for any error messages
Also try running
ulimit -c unlimited
And re-running Penumbra and try and recreate the error
then submit the generated core file or stack trace
bob@Easystreet:/workspace/PenumbraCollection/BlackPlague>
So I went and looked at the log. This is what it said:
-------- THE HPL ENGINE LOG ------------

Creating Engine Modules
 Creating graphics module
 Creating system module
 Creating resource module
 Creating input module
 Creating sound module
 Creating physics module
 Creating ai module
 Creating gui module
 Creating haptic module
 Creating scene module

Initializing Resources Module
 Creating resource managers
 Misc Creation

Initializing Graphics Module
 Init low level graphics
 Setting video mode: 800 x 600 - 32 bpp
ERROR: Could not set display mode setting a lower one!
FATAL ERROR: Unable to initialize display!
Then I tried running ulimit -c unlimited

Didn't get a core dump or a stack trace, but maybe I don't know where it would
have put it.

Could it be as simple as my xf86.config doesn't allow the 800x600 screen?

Any ideas from the Sluggers?

Bob S