Re: [SLUG] chroot environments

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Jul 31 2009 - 19:21:16 EDT

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, draeath wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Eben King<eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Paul Bransford wrote:
>>
>>> How would one go about installing a random distro into a chroot? This is
>>> assuming the 'host' and 'guest' don't have a faculty for this such as
>>> Debian's debootstrap?
>>>
>>> I've got a slackware64-current host here, and I need to run some stuff
>>> using Codeweaver's Crossover. Unfortunatly that requires a bunch of
>>> 32-bit stuff, and the best solution I can think of is to install
>>> slackware12.2 into a chroot.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? "real" virtualization isn't going to fit my need (for now).
>>
>> I'm thinking that at some point you're going to need virtualization.
>> Distros generally want to run their own kernel.

> Nah, I've built plenty of custom kernels and had no problems there.

Sure, so have I. Running one now. I'm just saying they generally like to
boot a kernel of their own, not necessarily one that came with the distro.

> Sine that works, I would think I could get that part to work.
> Especially since in this case, they are both slackware (and a 32-bit
> system works fine under a 64-bit kernel)
>
> I'll probably just install to a loopback device and set up fstab in
> the primary system to mount it.

If part of the install sequence requires a reboot, you might have problems
there. And trying to run an X server (unless it's Xnest or similar) or ALSA
or DMA driver might be problematic. But there's no harm in trying.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

Unix is user-friendly; it's just picky about who it makes friends with. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.