Re: [SLUG] firefox memory

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Jul 31 2009 - 19:25:15 EDT

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Ron Youvan wrote:

>> I've got an ongoing graph of Firefox's memory use. I've noticed that as
>> it's run over the last 5.5 days (so far), the size of its swap use has
>> remained about constant at around 400 MiB, but the amount of resident
>> (in-RAM) use has risen from around 400 MiB to around 610 MiB. Each time it
>> crashes it starts over. Apparently that represents a memory leak (I
>> haven't opened 50% more tabs), but why isn't that data swapped out? Is
>> there a way to allocate memory so it's never swapped out?
>
> I have 2.5 gig now, but I haven't used any swap partition since I had
> only .75 gig and I haven't seen any ill effects. With 1.0 gig of ram I
> loaded about 735 meg of wav files into sweep and made one CD sized wav
> file to create a CD without the 2 seconds of "dead air" between cuts,
> without any trouble of any discernible kind.

> If you have enough RAM why would you WANT to use the much slower hard
> drive?

I've run a system without swap, entirely over the network. Slow (because of
the "hard drive") but very quiet. Didn't crash but then I didn't run it
long.

> I thought (because I read it) LINUX was made so any program (even with a
> memory leak) that is terminated ALL of it's allocated memory would be
> reclaimed by the kernel and any and all memory leaks would be erased,
> nullified.

I think that's correct. I'd rather not have FF crash/be killed for any
reason.

> I have heard very little of memory leaks with LINUX until quite recently,
> mostly here.

AFAICT the OS doesn't have a problem, it's only FF that does.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    http://royalty.mine.nu:81
SCORPIO:  Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming