[SLUG] iPod free space

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 13:47:20 EDT

I have a second-generation iPod Touch (internal speaker, contoured back).
This is unlike what I've read about earlier iPods in that none of the
third-party management tools works. So I'm stuck with iTunes. Except that
I installed an app called "Finder" (think MacOS) and a third-party media
player. I can ssh and ftp into it so I can do file management that way, as
long as I don't expect the iPod's default apps to take notice of what I've
done.

Last week I noticed space was getting low (it's a 16GB unit), so I deleted a
big file through Finder. I forget how big exactly, but somewhere in the
dozens of megabytes. Free space didn't change. I've now got 56 KB left[1].
Is there a Trash I have to empty? I can't see one in Finder.

Just to make sure it didn't reclaim the free space then fill it up again
without me noticing, I just deleted a 700 MB file (same method) then
immediately went to Settings. 56 KB free. So if it filled it up again it
did so in a few seconds.

[1] The (internal) Flash card is partitioned, so the OS "drive" has 535 MB
     free. It's only the one for user files that's about full.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   http://royalty.mine.nu:81
CANCER:  The position of Jupiter says that you should spend the