Re: [SLUG] Changing sound cards.

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Sep 22 2009 - 22:08:43 EDT

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 08:06:28PM -0400, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> I had a Yamaha something or other sound card on this old Ubuntu box (P
> II 400 mHz, 394 ram) that *didn't* work*. Now I have an Audigy SB0090 in
> it that doesn't work. Maybe it's my breath?
>
> I feel like it should work, though. If I pull the plug out or plug it in
> there is static sound from the (minimal) speakers so something is at
> least possible.
>
> Are there drivers for sound cards in Linux like in Winders? My other
> (all Linux) boxes just work. Been so long that sound didn't work on an
> install that I don't remember much about it.

You didn't mention what version of which OS you have on the box, and
that could explain why it's not working.

Yes, there are "drivers" in Linux, but they are typically kernel
modules. You need a program which will look at the sound card, set up
the config and load the proper driver. Try alsaconf. BTW, if your sound
is turned down all the way, you won't know whether the card's working
anyway. Try alsamixer or similar.

Other things to look at: change slots for the card (you didn't mention
the type of card this is-- ISA, PCI, etc.), cables between speakers and
card, putting the jack in the right socket, etc.

> The CD wire doesn't fit but I am not trying to play a CD.

I have no idea what this means.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster