Re: Re: [SLUG] no POST

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Sep 24 2009 - 15:42:36 EDT

On Sep 24, 2009 03:12:39 PM, slug@nks.net wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:44:27AM -0500, Eben King wrote:
> >
> > Well, it's plugged into UPS -> power strip. There's another surge
> > suppressor/switchable power strip daisy-chained off there, so maybe at the
> > end of the chain would have been better, considering the weather around
> > here.
>
> Regarding this, Ed Centanni once told me something I should have known
> already, having been an electrician for years. The innards of surge
> suppressing circuitry are connected across all the conductors, and
> essentially connected in parallel to the power system in your house. As
> such, they technically protect devices anywhere in the house, not just
> the devices plugged into them. This is actually just elementary
> electricity theory.
>
> That's the theory. As a practical matter, the closer a device is to the
> surge suppressor, the more it can take advantage of the surge
> suppressor's ability to clamp incoming voltage (spikes). I use surge
> strips and UPSes on everything, myself. Of course, in the event of a
> direct strike, no surge suppressor in the world will dissipate millions
> of volts.

I wouldn't trust lightning not to produce transients with a rise time
so short that the voltage can rise to dangerous levels before a surge
suppressor in the next room can put the kibosh on it. But I have no
numbers to back my wild-eyed assertion.

> That's why I encourage power companies to locate as many tall,
> grounded power poles around my house as possible. ;-}

And cell phone antennae...

--
-eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
AQUARIUS: There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the