Re: Re: [SLUG] no POST

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Sep 24 2009 - 15:59:00 EDT

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 02:42:36PM -0500, Eben King wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2009 03:12:39 PM, slug@nks.net wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:44:27AM -0500, Eben King wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, it's plugged into UPS -> power strip. There's another surge
> > > suppressor/switchable power strip daisy-chained off there, so maybe at
> the
> > > end of the chain would have been better, considering the weather
> around
> > > here.
> >
> > Regarding this, Ed Centanni once told me something I should have known
> > already, having been an electrician for years. The innards of surge
> > suppressing circuitry are connected across all the conductors, and
> > essentially connected in parallel to the power system in your house. As
> > such, they technically protect devices anywhere in the house, not just
> > the devices plugged into them. This is actually just elementary
> > electricity theory.
> >
> > That's the theory. As a practical matter, the closer a device is to the
> > surge suppressor, the more it can take advantage of the surge
> > suppressor's ability to clamp incoming voltage (spikes). I use surge
> > strips and UPSes on everything, myself. Of course, in the event of a
> > direct strike, no surge suppressor in the world will dissipate millions
> > of volts.
>
> I wouldn't trust lightning not to produce transients with a rise time
> so short that the voltage can rise to dangerous levels before a surge
> suppressor in the next room can put the kibosh on it. But I have no
> numbers to back my wild-eyed assertion.

As I recall, that's another spec on surge suppressors-- clamping time or
somesuch. But if you're getting a lightning surge in one room, you might
as well write off the rest of the rooms. Plus, because of the voltages
involved, lightning doesn't actually need what you'd normally consider a
conductive path. I think surge suppressors are really for handling
"normal" voltage problems.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster