Re: [SLUG] sound editing programs?

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Oct 02 2009 - 10:51:18 EDT

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:

>> audacity = Audio editor for recording, slicing, and mixing audio.
>> http://audacity.sourceforge.net
>
> I've worked heavily with Audacity and I like it. Yes, you need to use LAME to
> import files from the proprietary MP3 format and to output them back to said
> proprietary format, but it should do what you want to do with no problem.

MP3 is propietary? Coulda fooled me. Who owns it?

My first guess would be snd, then sox would probably work but it isn't gui,
and for both of them you have to decompress the files first (with e.g. lame
or mpg321/mpg123), and recompress them afterward. If you do a web search
for |lossless mp3 editor| you may find something that does it without
incurring a decompress/recompress cycle.

> One thing Audacity has going for it is excellent & thorough documentation.
> (I had a little to do with this.)

People recommend Audacity so it's probably good but I've never used it. I'm
not morally opposed to using a CLI, and sometimes wind up doing things the
hard way because I happen to have the tools.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
Scientist A: A matterbaby is a very unstable particle.