Re: [SLUG] Verizon FiOS and DynDNS

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 11:04:21 EDT

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Chuck Hast wrote:

> Are any of you using FiOS with some form of DynDNS?

Yeah, my router (actually Verizon's, an Actiontec MI424-WR) has a spot for
it so my computer is not involved.

> I have a neighbor who wants me to install a ZoneMinder system in his home,
> he wants to be able to access it from the outside over the 'net. I have
> one setup at my home and access remotely but I am on Brighthouse which
> does not seem to be a issue. I have heard that Verizon blocks port 80 so
> that you can not have a web server running on your end, I of course can
> set it up to use other ports, but not sure what all ports are blocked. I
> see some on the web indicating that only ports 25 and 80 are blocked.

A little bird told me that port 80 works (or worked), but you get/got lots
of attempted IIS exploits and maybe scans from Verizon, but that port 81
works admirably to this day. No information about 25 or other ports.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81

A neutrino enters a bar. The bartender asks "Can I get you anything?" The neutrino replies "Nope, just passing through." -- rdu_voyager on Fark ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.