Re: [SLUG] Verizon FiOS and DynDNS

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 11:52:51 EDT

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 11:04, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
>> Are any of you using FiOS with some form of DynDNS?
>
> Yeah, my router (actually Verizon's, an Actiontec MI424-WR) has a spot for
> it so my computer is not involved.
>
>> I have a neighbor who wants me to install a ZoneMinder system in his home,
>> he wants to be able to access it from the outside over the 'net. I have one
>> setup at my home and access remotely but I am on Brighthouse which does not
>> seem to be a issue. I have heard that Verizon blocks port 80 so that you can
>> not have a web server running on your end, I of course can set it up to use
>> other ports, but not sure what all ports are blocked. I see some on the web
>> indicating that only ports 25 and 80 are blocked.
>
> A little bird told me that port 80 works (or worked), but you get/got lots
> of attempted IIS exploits and maybe scans from Verizon, but that port 81
> works admirably to this day.  No information about 25 or other ports.

Good, this is for a ZoneMinder video system, I can use other ports of course
but I hate to have to tell people to use www.mydyndns.com:81/zm or whatever
I would prefer to just use www.mydyndns.com/zm and be done with it... But
if it has to be done so be it. I will test it out both ways at least
from what you
are saying he will be able to get into the video server from where ever he
is as long as he has reasonable network connections.

Thanks Eban. I will be testing it out soon. He lives next door to me so I am
going to add his two cameras to my system, it is open and viewable:

www.wchast.com/zm
Login = guest
passwd = guest

--