RE: [SLUG] One more reason...

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Oct 16 2009 - 21:53:53 EDT

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009, Ken Elliott wrote:

> Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote on Friday, October 16, 2009 4:53 PM:
>
>> Chuck Hast wrote:
>>> Did anyone read this?? interesting piece of info...
>>>
>>> http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/10/avoid_windows_mal
>>> ware_bank_on.html
>>
>> No question. My wife once had someone access her business bank account and
>> try to grab money (they failed) as a result of her accessing the Internet
>> while running Windows. She uses Windows for Paint Shop Pro, but uses Linux
>> for everything else, just as I use Windows for video editing (on a dedicated
>> "video appliance" comouter) and Linux for everything else.

> Let me add...
>
> Use a Linux or BSD Unix on a

                        freshly booted

> LIVE CD. Any hard disk-based OS is subject to
> compromise.

Volatile data has to go somewhere. Memory structures in RAM can be
changed.

IMO these are all extreme precautions. Few people are actually going to
take the time to shut down and reboot off a liveCD to access a web site.
OTOH, booting a VM from an iso isn't _that_ much trouble, so you could go
that route.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81
          They that can give up essential liberty to