Re: [SLUG] One more reason...

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 17 2009 - 00:09:05 EDT

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 21:53, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009, Ken Elliott wrote:
>
>> Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote on Friday, October 16, 2009 4:53 PM:

>>> No question. My wife once had someone access her business bank account
>>> and
>>> try to grab money (they failed) as a result of her accessing the Internet
>>> while running Windows. She uses Windows for Paint Shop Pro, but uses
>>> Linux
>>> for everything else, just as I use Windows for video editing (on a
>>> dedicated
>>> "video appliance" comouter) and Linux for everything else.
>
>> Let me add...
>>
>> Use a Linux or BSD Unix on a
>
>                       freshly booted
>
>>                             LIVE CD.  Any hard disk-based OS is subject to
>> compromise.
>
> Volatile data has to go somewhere.  Memory structures in RAM can be changed.
>
> IMO these are all extreme precautions.  Few people are actually going to
> take the time to shut down and reboot off a liveCD to access a web site.
> OTOH, booting a VM from an iso isn't _that_ much trouble, so you could go
> that route.

Remember that many of the keyboard loggers run at the driver level so even
though you have a iso running in a VM which is inside a windows machine,
(if that is what you are thinking) the keyboard logger is still scraping your
key entries. That was pointed out several times in the discussions on both
articles. All considered, I try to carry a USB stick with one of the iso's on it
so I can stick it in a machine, reboot and get my data... Why trust MS to any-
thing, they continue to be a sales organization which just happens to generate
or misappropriate code. If others want to do so at their peril so be
it, but I will
go other directions. I had more than my fill dealing with their nasty code at
the last place I worked, too bad that they really messed up a machine line by
trying to use Windows as the OS on the machines. Now the next generation
is going to have Linux on them in part.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;