Re: [SLUG] Linux mp3 player

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Nov 13 2009 - 13:04:14 EST

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009, Possum wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:02:07PM -0500, Ken Elliott wrote:
>> So you purchased _one_ copy and wanted to put it on 50 PCs? Of course
>> they can't allow that. And the chances of getting any large company's
>> legal department to allow special exemption is highly unlikely. Easier
>> to get the marketing department to donate disks, rather than get a
>> special exemption.
>>
>> So why did they send lawyers? Did you actually install the software on
>> multiple machines?

> Assuming each of the donated computers had its own Windows license, or the
> organization had a bulk license, you should be able to use _one_ OEM
> *disk* to install on multiple machines.
>
> I'm not sure if this is the case, but number of disks/copies has nothing
> to do with how many computers it can be installed on.

That sounds like a fine proposal to me (and I think I'm legally a
"reasonable person"), but I wouldn't be surprised if MS's squadron of
attack lawyers were sticklers for one-size-fits-none rules.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      http://royalty.mine.nu:81
GEMINI:  Your birthday party will be ruined once again by your explosive