RE: [SLUG] Linux mp3 player

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Fri Nov 13 2009 - 13:05:09 EST

Pete Theisen wrote:
>> The disk was designed for multiple use, sold to system builders for
exactly that. I had a job building systems at the time, that's how I
knew about it. They had no problem selling the disk, but after you had
paid for it they had the lawyers tell you that you couldn't use it.

The system builder disk is an OEM copy of the program, and usually comes
with a single-machine license. You have to buy additional licenses for each
machine in wish to install it on. They wouldn't say "you can't use it", but
they might say "you didn't buy enough licenses". How many licenses did you
buy?

>> Their position was that we could not use the PCs that we had received as
a donation *at*all*, even with DOS, even the DOS license was not
transferable.

You seem to be leaving out a lot of details. Are you saying that the PCs
came with DOS installed? How do you know if they were legit copies or
pirated copies? Just asking.

>> We had to buy "charity" PCs, *from*them*, and individual
Win 98 licenses *from*them* - or else. The bill was to be $40K. We had
about 40 cents at the time.

They don't sell PCs, so something is not adding up in your story. And
$40,000 divided by 50 PCs is $800 per PC. So either you have a lot of
software to buy, or they felt you had pirated the software and were seeking
punitive damages. Can you clarify?

>> Hey, if you are Great $atan fan-buddy I'm OK with that, but don't expect
me to have any politically correct reverence for them or their ilk.

I'm not a fan of MS. I just asked why you refer to them as the great satan,
and then you give me a story that leaves me the impression that you tried to
pirate their software and got caught. Am I wrong?

Ken Elliott
=====================

> So why did they send lawyers? Did you actually install the software on
> multiple machines?

Hi Ken,

The disk was designed for multiple use, sold to system builders for
exactly that. I had a job building systems at the time, that's how I
knew about it. They had no problem selling the disk, but after you had
paid for it they had the lawyers tell you that you couldn't use it.

They "could" allow "that" - or anything else, they just didn't. The disk
and the PCs were way-old at the time. XP was already out.

Their position was that we could not use the PCs that we had received as
a donation *at*all*, even with DOS, even the DOS license was not
transferable. We had to buy "charity" PCs, *from*them*, and individual
Win 98 licenses *from*them* - or else. The bill was to be $40K. We had
about 40 cents at the time.

We deleted all M$ software of any kind and tried to soldier on. Lost
nearly everybody when that happened. Hardly any volunteers could adapt
to Linux. I will *never* again have anything to do with M$.

--
Regards,

Pete http://pete-theisen.com/ http://elect-pete-theisen.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.