Re: [SLUG] Linux mp3 player

From: Pete Theisen (petetheisen@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Nov 13 2009 - 13:33:38 EST

Ken Elliott wrote:
> you give me a story that leaves me the impression that you tried to
> pirate their software and got caught. Am I wrong?

Hi Ken,

You are wrong, but I had not explained at length because this started
out about loading tunes on a pocket mp3 player. I never thought you, or
anyone on a Linux list, would be *this* interested.

I bought the software and donated it, we were donated the PCs by a lot
of people. We asked permission to load the software on multiple PCs,
considering we were a charity, for heaven's sake. To our consternation
they denied our request, and meanwhile the lawyers assumed that we had
already loaded the software and threatened us.

The settlement proposed was illuminating. We would be paying, per your
math, $800 per PC for M$'s old machines and a window$ 98 license for
each old machine. This was a little more than new XP ones would have
cost at Circuit City or Best Buy at the time. I guess the fact that they
had once been on the Great Satan campus of Redmond meant that they were
worth more than new ones. Any ad-ware or viruses included were free.

There was something else in there, too, about how I should have donated
money instead of donating the software. Somehow when you buy something
from the Great Satan you can only use it yourself, no one else can -
ever - especially not charities which have unique cash obligations to
the Devil of the North West. If you donate anything M$ to a charity they
have to pay again to the Great Satan *before* they use it.

I responded by unloading all Great Satan software, which I had licenses
for, and starting from scratch on Linux. As I said, it effectively
killed the project.

--
Regards,

Pete http://pete-theisen.com/ http://elect-pete-theisen.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.