Re: [SLUG] Linux mp3 player

From: Pete Theisen (petetheisen@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Nov 13 2009 - 13:11:03 EST

Ken Elliott wrote:

> Reading between the lines, it creates the impression the they might have
> installed a single license on 50 PCs and were caught. MS is a public
> company and the managers have a fiduciary duty to the stockholders to
> protect their property. They would have no choice but to send in the
> lawyers. But rather than jump to conclusions, I'd like Pete to clarify.

Hi Ken,

We had installed one or two copies to see if it worked. When it sorta
did work we asked for permission.

The people we asked permission of made all kinds of lying explanations
why they couldn't grant our request, which permission would have cost
them a buck for the paper, envelope and stamp. This was around the same
time Chief Devil what-was-his-name was milking the headlines about how
much M$ was "giving" to charities.

What he didn't tell you was that the charities were giving cash *to* M$
- and a lot of cash, and M$ was giving them their old cast-off PCs in
exchange for the cash and claiming the difference between full sticker
for the old machines/licenses and what the charities gave them as a
"donation". The charities *paid* M$ cash, and actually *received* only
old machines and old windows licenses, the charities *received* no cash
at all.

Why anyone thinks that is "all right" I'll never know! The prices the
charities paid weren't even that good! To say nothing of gaming the IRS.

I think the lawyers contacted us after we asked for permission, but not
in direct connection with our request. They were just shaking down
everybody in the medical field at that time. Same Great Satan, different
Great Satan project or division.

--
Regards,

Pete http://pete-theisen.com/ http://elect-pete-theisen.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.