Re: [SLUG] mP3s from vinyl?

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Nov 28 2009 - 10:10:03 EST

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009, Scott Grizzard wrote:

> Steven Van Tilburg wrote on Nov 27, 2009 10:23 PM:
>
> > Pete Theisen wrote:
> >>
> >> I have Ubuntu 9.04. Is there a package that will rip vinyl records
> >> from a regular record player? Say, adapt the RCA to the sound card input?
>
> > The problem you will have is the record player needs a pre-amp to boost
> > the audio levels up to the regular RCA component levels. Once you have
> > that, I believe Audacity has a plug-in to actually track LPs based on
> > the silence between songs.

> Restoration hardware has the perfect device for this problem...not
> kidding...they sell a turntable with a usb port for "ripping" vinyl.

If you don't otherwise have a decent turntable and that is one (well
insulated from outside vibrations, minimal wow/flutter, good
response/separation), then great, if it's a decent price. Otherwise, go for
a decent player and a preamp. Oh, for the gizmo, also make sure you can
take sound input by USB (I have no idea how to do that). If it uses some
special driver to accomplish that, is it written for Linux?

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

Unix is user-friendly; it's just picky about who it makes friends with. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.