Re: [SLUG] mP3s from vinyl?

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 28 2009 - 12:48:58 EST

> I see that the receiver does not have phono in The phono was connected to
> CD in. I am not clear if I ever played it that way, I may have just plugged
> it in and assumed that it worked.
>
> The turntable needs a belt, a cheap fix. However, the receiver may NOT have
> RIAA. Where do I get the cheap preamp if it doesn't do the bass?

CD in will not have the required phono boost/equalization.

You can get the phono preamp from amazon, radioshack, local electronics
dive, ebay...
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PP-999-Phono-Turntable-Pre-Amp/dp/B00025742A

If your turntable is currently not working you could be fighting uphill
battle. After replacing the belt you may also find your stylus/cartridge is
wrecked, or that the motor will no longer spin the platter at a constant
rpm. If it's steady slow or fast then you can compensate somewhat with
audacity, but if the speed wavers (which is more likely the case) you've got
problems. With that many unknowns it's probably time to look for a deal on
a cheap digitizing table which would be pretty much ready to go, or skip the
process entirely and find digital copies of the media already on the market
(depending on your needs and availability).

Good luck,
~ Daniel