Re: [SLUG] mP3s from vinyl?

From: Pete Theisen (petetheisen@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Nov 29 2009 - 05:54:26 EST

Daniel Jarboe wrote:

> If your turntable is currently not working you could be fighting uphill
> battle. After replacing the belt you may also find your
> stylus/cartridge is wrecked, or that the motor will no longer spin the
> platter at a constant rpm. If it's steady slow or fast then you can
> compensate somewhat with audacity, but if the speed wavers (which is
> more likely the case) you've got problems. With that many unknowns it's
> probably time to look for a deal on a cheap digitizing table which would
> be pretty much ready to go, or skip the process entirely and find
> digital copies of the media already on the market (depending on your
> needs and availability).
>
> Good luck,
> ~ Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Yes, it is luck, isn't it? But I can rough test the cartridge without
the belt, just rub the needle with my finger.

So, say the cartridge makes some sound when I rub it. If it does then I
get the belt. I expect then that the turntable will play but the bass
will be tinny. Once I get to that point I can tell if the speed is OK.

If the speed is OK, then I get the pre-amp. Wal-mart has it for $16.88
with free shipping to the local store.

Looks to me like the risk is $10 and shipping for the belt. This will
only be a one time play of each record so a big investment is not
warranted if it can be avoided. First, clear out all the dust bunnies!

--
Regards,

Pete http://pete-theisen.com/ http://elect-pete-theisen.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.