Re: [SLUG] Install Win7 on Ubuntu system

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 18:17:45 EST

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Chuck Hast wrote:

> OK, got the grub thing fixed, thanks again guys.
>
> Now looking back at that hd layout:
>
> sda1 = 9G boot for Unbuntu 9.10
> sda2 = extended
> sda5 = swap
> sda6 = 86.6G Holds Ubuntu home/user_directories
> sda7 = 83.2G Want to install Win7 here
>
> I have always put Linux on a machine that already had windows on it, now
> I am going to do the reverse, any guidance?/ I am sure it is going to want
> to blow the MBR away and who knows what else...
> I am probably going to shrink that 83G to something smaller, I only need
> this windows part to run the scope software, I tried it in Wine but it wants
> .net 3.5 and that does not fly.

Can you run Windows in VMware instead? That's compatible with purt-near
everything. vmplayer is free, and there are instructions on the net on how
to make your own virtual disk file. I run XP and another distro through
vmplayer.

But if you really, really want a dual boot box (I've done it that way too),
then have the partition already made for W* to install onto, so you don't
have to mess with their partitioner and risk wiping out your Linux
installation. And yeah, W* wipes your MBR without asking, so have an
alternate way of booting your machine to reinstall grub. And add W* to
grub's menu.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81

A neutrino enters a bar. The bartender asks "Can I get you anything?" The neutrino replies "Nope, just passing through." -- rdu_voyager on Fark ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.