Re: [SLUG] Install Win7 on Ubuntu system

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 22:35:36 EST

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Bob Stia wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 December 2009 19:00:26 Chuck Hast wrote:

>>> Check the size of sda7, and make sure the partition it installs onto is
>>> 83.2 GB or whatever it reports in bytes.  The numbering might be
>>> different, and it'd really suck to stomp on the wrong partition.
>>
>> Yes, I am going to use a stick with partition magic on it and resize it and
>> format it to ntfs. That will take care of that...
>
> Not so sure you will be able to install windows to that partition. windows
> wants to be on the very first partition, There is a way to fool it into
> thinking it is installing there but I don't know what it is. (format it and
> rename it C: ?) I would google it before I tried. And, rest assured Windows
> WILL wipe your mbr.

Sure about that? MeatRAM says I installed NT on partition #2. I'll buy
that it has to be a _primary_ partition though. Either way, sda7 won't
work. BICBW about the #2 thing

(g)parted can move and resize partitions losslessly. Since there's nothing
in sda7, there's no need to move it (that'd involve dozens of minutes of
pointless reads and writes), just delete and recreate. You do need to
scoot 2-6 over to make room, though.

Or you can use tar/cpio to copy everything in sda6 to sda7, delete the 5, 6,
7, and 2, create a new regular partition 2 (where W* will go) _exactly_ the
size 6 was, an extended partition 3 covering from the end of 2 to the end of
the disk, 5 _exactly_ the size it was, then 6 _exactly_ the same size 7 was,
and the filesystem on 6 should be as 7 was before you started all this
faffing about with fdisk. mkswap, fix fstab and grub, and Bob's your uncle.
But that's really hairy and I would not recommend it to anyone. You can
make it a lot less hairy if you have a few dozen GB of free space on another
drive.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      http://royalty.mine.nu:81
AQUARIUS:  There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the