Re: [SLUG] Install Win7 on Ubuntu system

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 22:06:31 EST

On Tuesday 01 December 2009 19:00:26 Chuck Hast wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 18:55, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> I fear that the horsepower of the netbook is not quite enough for a
> >> vmware VM. I plan to install it in the last partition, I am going to go
> >> in and change the FS to NTFS so I can install it on there.
> >
> > Might have to change the type listed in fdisk from "83  Linux" (or
> > whatever it is now) to "7  HPFS/NTFS".  I don't know if changing the
> > filesystem is enough.  But at any rate, mkfs is unnecessary as you can
> > format during installation (at least you could in XP and prior versions).
> >
> >> That should work I guess I will use my Ubuntu on a stick and recover the
> >> MBR and set it up to aim where it does now.
> >>
> >> sda1 = 9G boot for Unbuntu 9.10
> >> sda2 = extended
> >> sda5 = swap
> >> sda6 = 86.6G Holds Ubuntu home/user_directories
> >> sda7 = 83.2G  Want to install Win7 here
> >>
> >> I want to put the FS on sda7, the last one on the list.
> >
> > Check the size of sda7, and make sure the partition it installs onto is
> > 83.2 GB or whatever it reports in bytes.  The numbering might be
> > different, and it'd really suck to stomp on the wrong partition.
>
> Yes, I am going to use a stick with partition magic on it and resize it and
> format it to ntfs. That will take care of that...

Chuck,

Not so sure you will be able to install windows to that partition. windows
wants to be on the very first partition, There is a way to fool it into
thinking it is installing there but I don't know what it is. (format it and
rename it C: ?) I would google it before I tried. And, rest assured Windows
WILL wipe your mbr.

Bob S