Re: [SLUG] webcam image control

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Dec 06 2009 - 22:08:48 EST

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009, Chuck Hast wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 12:58, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 Dec 2009, Chuck Hast wrote:
>>

>> Can't, Synaptic tells me that to do so I have to remove "ubuntu-desktop".
>> Apparently it's one of their blessed^Wstandard packages.  As much as
>> possible I don't use it however.  Most, if not all, apps are configured to
>> ignore it.  However, since they're all precompiled and linked against pa's
>> libs, I couldn't remove it even if Ubuntu didn't mind.
>>
> Hmm, what is the version of the distro, I am running 91.0 here on everything.
> It is so plugnplay it is generally boring, indeed I had to jump
> through all kinds
> of hoops to get my BlueTooth mouse to work on my Netbook when I brought
> Win XP up on it, whereas under Ubuntu it just works. No questions no issues
> it JUST WORKS what part can the windows fans not understand about that.
> I had to go out and download a set of drivers for the stupid thing, Ubuntu it
> just worked...
>
> Pulse Audio has been cleaned up greatly over the past year or so, I have not
> had to remove it from anything of late, but it has not been that long
> ago that it
> would not work with a lot of stuff, Skype was like the audio problem from hell.
>

>>> When you plug the cam into the USB (I assume it is USB)
>>
>> It is, 17a1:0128 .
>>
>>> how does it show up in the /dev? Mine shows up as /dev/video0,
>>
>> Mine too.
> Ok, it has found the cam and probably installed the proper drivers for
> it. Here is the old fall back, which I what I think most all of us use when
> we are testing analog cams out, do a apt-get on xwtv

Not found. Is it a recently-written program?

> XAWTV is a very basic prog that just handles a video stream and puts
> it on your screen. Start with it, if you can get that to work then you will
> be able to work through the rest of it.

It prints:

eben@pc:~$ xawtv
This is xawtv-3.95.dfsg.1, running on Linux/x86_64 (2.6.26.5)
xinerama 0: 1600x1200+1600+0
xinerama 1: 1600x1200+0+0
X Error of failed request: XF86DGANoDirectVideoMode
   Major opcode of failed request: 136 (XFree86-DGA)
   Minor opcode of failed request: 1 (XF86DGAGetVideoLL)
   Serial number of failed request: 13
v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-ledfixed-medium-r-*--39-*-*-*-c-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
ioctl: VIDIOC_G_STD(std=0x7fff7089a0a4 [PAL_G,PAL_D,PAL_K,NTSC_M_JP,?,SECAM_B,SECAM_H,?ATSC_8_VSB,(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null)]): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOC_G_CTRL(id=9963776;value=8): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOC_G_CTRL(id=9963777;value=7): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOC_S_STD(std=0x0 []): Invalid argument
^Cno way to get: 384x288 32 bit TrueColor (LE: bgr-)

Sigh. Something hates me. I tried "xawtv -nodga", same deal.

I looked in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and see:

,--
| Section "Module"
| # SubSection "extmod" # don't initialise the DGA extension
| # Option "omit xfree86-dga" # the nvidia driver doesn't support it,
| # EndSubSection # so why use the RAM?
| # load "v4l"
| EndSection
'--

Is it still the case that the nvidia driver doesn't support DGA? And since
that "Omit" line is commented out, does that mean DGA _is_ loaded?
Browsing on the web shows that nvidia drivers > 8178 don't have DGA support.
My driver was installed from the file "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.12-pkg2.run"
but I can't figure out what version it is.

>>> I just go into VLC as follows
>>> Media>Open Capture Device
>>>  In Device Selection
>>>        Video Device Name:
>>> I enter         /dev/video0
>>> At the bottom of the Open Capture Device screen is the [Play] button click
>>> on
>>> that and you should get a opening screen of what your cam is seeing.
>>
>> We must have different versions of VLC.  I have "0.8.6e Janus (wxWidgets
>> interface)".  Here's what I see:
>>
> Wow yours is OLD!! All of mine on both Ubuntu and SuSE are 1.0.2 Goldeneye
> Perhaps you need to bring it up to date. What rev level is your Ubuntu at?

Maybe 6.04 LTS. Definitely LTS. When the next LTS version comes out I'll
upgrade to it. I hate the whole "upgrading" process and all the surprise
incompatibilities that come after it, so I generally put up with stuff not
working for a long time. I've rarely been successful in compiling a recent
program. I guess there are lotsandlots of dependencies that you just have
to know about. Although, this would be a great use for a recent distro
running inside VMware-player.

> I am at 9.10, it rocks, and rocks and rocks.... I am running SuSE 11.1 on
> my main desktop, I prefer it for the heavy lifting I do on my desktop,
> since I run KDE on that machine, the others are Ubuntu with the Gnome
> desktop because they are not used for a lot of jumping back and forth to a
> lot of stuff though all of them have Compiz to make it easier for me to
> have several things going at the same time.
>
> Anyhow give XAWTV a try and see if you can see a image with it. It is the
> ultimate test tool I think for most of us that play with video on Linux
> unless it is a IP cam, then things change.

Nope, gets errors (see above).

"xawtv -nodga" produces apparently identical output, which to me is strange,
I figured it wouldn't try to access XFree86-DGA. Could it be something I
neglected to compile support for in my kernel?

I can record movies on my digital camera. What can I use to edit them? The
tasks I need to perform are mainly cropping (time, not framesize) and
concatenating.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

And we never failed to fail / It was the easiest thing to do -- CSN