Re: [SLUG] webcam image control

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 06 2009 - 23:34:06 EST

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 22:08, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Dec 2009, Chuck Hast wrote:
>

> Not found.  Is it a recently-written program?

Sorry, that was a typo, should have been XAWTV... I see you did find it
though, sorry to send you off down a rat hole...

>> XAWTV is a very basic prog that just handles a video stream and puts
>> it on your screen. Start with it, if you can get that to work then you
>> will
>> be able to work through the rest of it.
>
> It prints:
>
> eben@pc:~$ xawtv
> This is xawtv-3.95.dfsg.1, running on Linux/x86_64 (2.6.26.5)
> xinerama 0: 1600x1200+1600+0
> xinerama 1: 1600x1200+0+0
> X Error of failed request:  XF86DGANoDirectVideoMode
>  Major opcode of failed request:  136 (XFree86-DGA)
>  Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (XF86DGAGetVideoLL)
>  Serial number of failed request:  13
>  Current serial number in output stream:  13
> v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
> Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-ledfixed-medium-r-*--39-*-*-*-c-*-*-*" to
> type FontStruct
> ioctl: VIDIOC_G_STD(std=0x7fff7089a0a4
> [PAL_G,PAL_D,PAL_K,NTSC_M_JP,?,SECAM_B,SECAM_H,?ATSC_8_VSB,(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null)]):
> Invalid argument
> ioctl: VIDIOC_G_CTRL(id=9963776;value=8): Invalid argument
> ioctl: VIDIOC_G_CTRL(id=9963777;value=7): Invalid argument
> ioctl: VIDIOC_S_STD(std=0x0 []): Invalid argument
> ^Cno way to get: 384x288 32 bit TrueColor (LE: bgr-)
>
> Sigh.  Something hates me.  I tried "xawtv -nodga", same deal.
>
> I looked in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and see:
>
> ,--
> | Section "Module"
> | #    SubSection  "extmod"            # don't initialise the DGA extension
> | #      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"  # the nvidia driver doesn't support
> it,
> | #    EndSubSection                   # so why use the RAM?
> | #    load "v4l"
> | EndSection
> '--

Looking at your listing, it looks like it threw the book at it and still was not
able to get it going, I get the feeling it does not like the video
drivers on the
display side...

> Is it still the case that the nvidia driver doesn't support DGA? And since
> that "Omit" line is commented out, does that mean DGA _is_ loaded? Browsing
> on the web shows that nvidia drivers > 8178 don't have DGA support. My
> driver was installed from the file "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.12-pkg2.run"
> but I can't figure out what version it is.

>>> We must have different versions of VLC.  I have "0.8.6e Janus (wxWidgets
>>> interface)".  Here's what I see:
>>>
>> Wow yours is OLD!! All of mine on both Ubuntu and SuSE are 1.0.2 Goldeneye
>> Perhaps you need to bring it up to date. What rev level is your Ubuntu at?
>
> Maybe 6.04 LTS.  Definitely LTS.  When the next LTS version comes out I'll
> upgrade to it.  I hate the whole "upgrading" process and all the surprise
> incompatibilities that come after it, so I generally put up with stuff not
> working for a long time.  I've rarely been successful in compiling a recent
> program.  I guess there are lotsandlots of dependencies that you just have
> to know about.  Although, this would be a great use for a recent distro
> running inside VMware-player.

Ok, so you are at 6.04, that is way outta my time frame, see my note below.

> Nope, gets errors (see above).

If you can not get XAWTV to work, then you do need to look at your setup,
I have never seen that sort of errors. I have only started using Ubuntu since
late last year, so I am not really familiar with anything older than 9.04. I did
some work with 8.xx and it appeared to work quite well also, I have up until
last year been using SuSE, and prior to to that I was using some RedHat,
and played a bit with some light stuff like DSL and Puppie.

> "xawtv -nodga" produces apparently identical output, which to me is strange,
> I figured it wouldn't try to access XFree86-DGA.  Could it be something I
> neglected to compile support for in my kernel?

I am wondering the same, and after seeing all of the output that is what I am
wondering.

> I can record movies on my digital camera.  What can I use to edit them?  The
> tasks I need to perform are mainly cropping (time, not framesize) and
> concatenating.

Here is the 900lb Open Source gorilla:
http://cinelerra.org/
I used this to do some training video when was doing a glass plant down in
San Luis Potosi, MX.

Do you have a spare box you can load 9.10 on and give it a try ?? The
thing that I see is that everything (almost I was playing around with my
firewire cam and it did not like something, but I think it is a raw video
setting that it is barfing about, it does find the camera but as soon as I
try to pull video from it Coriander goes off in the weeds. But I can pull
video from the cam on my SuSE box just fine so no big deal, Just have
to fire Coriander on the SuSE box and see which setting it is screwing
up on the Ubuntu box and change it.

Well, it is either video display drivers, it looks like it is seeing the cam, I
am suspecting the display drivers at this point...

Oh yes, as far as upgrading, I keep all my /home/user stuff on a separate
partition so when I do a upgrade I blow away the whole / partition and
reload the new system, does not take that long anymore and most every
setting for everything is stored in my home area so almost everything
comes back up working just fine, the little bit that does not quite work
right is just usually a small adjustment, and we are off and running.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;