Re: [SLUG] record from Line Iw

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Dec 27 2009 - 17:12:29 EST

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009, Dylan William Hardison wrote:

> On Saturday, December 26, 2009 at 06:56PM -0500, Eben King wrote:
>> I got a USB turntable for Christmas. Yay. Unfortunately, I could not
>> get a USB connection to work (one I compiled usb-audio I got no sound
>> here [Ubuntu 6.xx LTS], and very choppy sound on the laptop [Ubuntu 8.04
>> LTS]). So I switched to using Line In through my Soundblaster Live!
>> here.
>>
>> I can get playthrough to work by unmuting and raising the "Line" slider,
>> but nothing I do allows me to record from Line IN. Right now, I'm using
>> Audacity. Its input is set to "ALSA SB Live 5.1: ADC Capture/Standard
>> PCM Playback (hw:0.0)". (Yes, I tried the obvious approaches of setting
>> the mixer to capture to "Line" and zero or more of "Front" and "Wave".)
>>
>> I don't mind hearing while I record, but I'd then have to make sure no
>> other sounds happened while I recorded. Any clues?
>
> I think this actually answers your question:
>
> Open alsamixer (terminal app)
> hit <tab> to get to the "Capture" view. Select "Line in" using left/right
> arrows, and then press <space>, Some red text reading "CAPTUR" or
> similar will appear below the "Line In" control.
>
> basically, you have to tell alsa you want to capture from the line in
> device.

Got it to work (sorta). This sound card('s driver) is weird; it needs:

Switch to the recording part of the mixer, and set "Line" as Capture,
and also "Capture" as Capture. Yes, there's a slider called "Capture".
Raise the "Capture" and "AC97" sliders. If you want to hear it too, switch
to the playback part of the mixer and unmute and raise "Line".

> Now a normal sound recording device should work.

I plan to use xoscope to adjust levels, then record with arecord, de-noise
with gwc, normalize with sox, split with audacity, then mp3 with lame. Of
course steps 2, 3, and 4 could all be done in audacity if it doesn't suck.

When I try to record with audacity, it prints:

Expression 'snd_pcm_prepare( stream->playback.pcm )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 2061
Expression 'AlsaStart( stream, 0 )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 2371
Expression 'AlsaRestart( self )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 2412
Expression 'PaAlsaStream_HandleXrun( self )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 2949
eight times, then
Expression 'PaAlsaStream_WaitForFrames( stream, &framesAvail, &xrun )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 3222

That's since I installed some stuff looking for a meter so I could tell when
I figured out the mixer settings to record from Line In. Not necessarily
when anything new is running; no, that's too easy.

> Also, as long as the mic isn't set to CAPTUR, you should not need to worry
> about anyone messing up your recordings.

Oh, I was (briefly) considering recording the main output of the card, so
not only the microphone, but other sounds the computer might make would mess
up the recording.

> Granted, as someone else mentioned, this solution might not be optimal,
> but the steps are required even if you have a $200 audio capture card. ;)

My preference is to record via USB, assuming that the inside of the
turntable is a lower-noise environment than the inside of a computer and
that the turntable's A/D converter is better than the one on the sound card.
But every site I can find about USB audio implies it just works. Great,
what do I do when it doesn't? Analog may be noisier and lower tech, but it
_works_. I'll have to see if I can hear the noise, given the suboptimal
listening environment here and the grotty overplayed source material.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    http://royalty.mine.nu:81
SCORPIO:  Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming