Re: [SLUG] record from Line Iw

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylan@hardison.net)
Date: Sat Dec 26 2009 - 22:36:19 EST

On Saturday, December 26, 2009 at 06:56PM -0500, Eben King wrote:
> I got a USB turntable for Christmas. Yay. Unfortunately, I could not
> get a USB connection to work (one I compiled usb-audio I got no sound
> here [Ubuntu 6.xx LTS], and very choppy sound on the laptop [Ubuntu 8.04
> LTS]). So I switched to using Line In through my Soundblaster Live!
> here.
>
> I can get playthrough to work by unmuting and raising the "Line" slider,
> but nothing I do allows me to record from Line IN. Right now, I'm using
> Audacity. Its input is set to "ALSA SB Live 5.1: ADC Capture/Standard
> PCM Playback (hw:0.0)". (Yes, I tried the obvious approaches of setting
> the mixer to capture to "Line" and zero or more of "Front" and "Wave".)
>
> I don't mind hearing while I record, but I'd then have to make sure no
> other sounds happened while I recorded. Any clues?

I think this actually answers your question:

Open alsamixer (terminal app)
hit <tab> to get to the "Capture" view. Select "Line in" using left/right
arrows, and then press <space>, Some red text reading "CAPTUR" or
similar will appear below the "Line In" control.

basically, you have to tell alsa you want to capture from the line in
device. Now a normal sound recording device should work. Also, as long
as the mic isn't set to CAPTUR, you should not need to worry about
anyone messing up your recordings. Granted, as someone else mentioned,
this solution might not be optimal, but the steps are required even if
you have a $200 audio capture card. ;)

--
"I asked of her, 'What do we celebrate?'
She said to me, 'These be the good old days.'"