Re: [SLUG] no sound -- FIXED

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Jan 05 2010 - 19:06:41 EST

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Eben King wrote:

> The computer got abruptly powered off today (NOT my fault), and when it came
> up I had no sound. Alsamixer has only the "master" control (yes, it's
> unmuted and nonzero). What could be the problem?

OK. I did "aplay -L" to list all soundcards, then "aplay -D soundcard
file.wav" to test each soundcard, and these work:

default:CARD=Live
front:CARD=Live,DEV=0
surround41:CARD=Live,DEV=0

Odd that the one called "default" works when specified, but the system's
broken by default.

I looked at /proc/asound/cards and noted that my sound card (a SB Live!,
whose support module is *emu10k1*ko) wasn't default, something called "USB
Audio" was. (A few days earlier, I had tried and failed to get sound
through my turntable's USB connection, and it was still connected.) I
couldn't figure out how to set the default there. Bringing ALSA down with
/etc/init.d/alsa-utils didn't allow me to rmmod snd_usb_audio, so the only
way I knew to do what I wanted was to reboot, and unplug the &$%@ USB
turntable so usb-audio didn't get loaded.

Yay, sound.

--
-eben     QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP     royalty.mine.nu:81

Q: Why does hamburger have lower energy than steak? A: Because it's in the ground state. -- Harold_of_the_Rocks on Fark ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.