[SLUG] Pinellas Unix People Meeting

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylan@hardison.net)
Date: Fri Jan 08 2010 - 11:37:55 EST

The January meeting for PUP is on the 20th, which is in just 12 days!
This time we may even have a projector, instead of a 19" LCD!

Our topic is "unix and networks".
There will be two presentations:
* Setting up OpenVPN as a method of securing wireless networks (20 minutes)
* Setting up a UUCP network for fun and hackitude.

OpenVPN is a cross-platform, user-space VPN based on OpenSSL.
It is also rather easy to setup and maintain.

Wikipedia:
> UUCP is an abbreviation for Unix-to-Unix Copy. The term generally
> refers to a suite of computer programs and protocols allowing remote
> execution of commands and transfer of files, email and netnews between
> computers. Specifically, UUCP is one of the programs in the suite; it
> provides a user interface for requesting file copy operations

UUCP is not very secure (by design), but our usage of it is meant only
as a exploration of unix heritage. :)

Now that you have read this far, I can assume you might be interested in
joining us. In that case, you may need to know the...

Time:
    January 20th, 2010 @ 6:00pm to 8:15pm

    There are no presentations in the first hour, which means you can
    show up at 7 and not miss the presentations.

Location:
    Pinellas Park Public Library
    7770 52nd St. N.
    Pinellas Park, FL

Room:
    We are in the first meeting room, which will be to your left as you
    enter the building, down a short hall just past the gift shop.

Afterwards:
    We usually go somewhere afterwards for drinks and/or food.
    I'd like to decide this before hand, but I also hate deciding
    things. So, someone suggest where we eat after the meeting in a

Calendars:
    Google Calendar entry: http://bit.ly/7uqr17
    Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=224678588473&index=1

Lastly, so that you know that PUP means business, here are the topics
for the next two months AFTER January:

* February's topic is "unix and perl".
* March's topic is "unix and The Irish People" and as such we will not be
  having a meeting at the library. ;)
* April's topic is "unix and bourne shell scripting"

--
The three laws of thermodynamics:
        (1) You can't get anything without working for it.