Re: [SLUG] Cisco CCNA DVD... Windows crap

From: Ron Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Feb 02 2010 - 09:11:21 EST

>> I purchased a study guide for the CCNA, it is from Cisco Press, no
>> where on the side of the box did it say anything about needing good
>> old windows in order to use the blasted DVD. I have been reading the
>> study guides, but tonight I figured I would see what was on the DVD,
>> well on the DVD is the "System Requirements" Windows 2K, XP
>> or Vista... adcrapium, adfeceaum... Figuring that this critter would
>> run in Wine, I load it into my SuSE machine... It tries to start it up
>> under Wine and I get a Application Error message of:
>> Exception EAccessViolation in module cmf.exe at 00000000.
>> Access violation at address 00000000. Write of address 00000000.
/*snip*/
>> Is there a work around for this one or am I going to have to load
>> windows on a machine and put up with it?

>> Surely they could have made a non-OS specific DVD, guess if you
>> are not running windows you are stuck with reading the book only.

   I bought an Asus netbook confuser running XP to support my new
Nikon D90, my GPS and PDA, I run many LINUX programs ported to
win and I am happy. (the LINUX programs far out perform the M$
based programs such as mc, ufraw, GCview, an ext3 extension
and much more)
   Netbooks do not have serial or parallel ports so that is
a major problem if you need them. (adapters are said to have
disadvantages) Other than this I am 100% LINUX since 1997.

--
    Ron  KA4INM - I'm proud to be Chuck's pop!