Re: [SLUG] Cisco CCNA DVD... Windows crap

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 02 2010 - 13:02:17 EST

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:23, Ken Elliott <kelliott11@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>>> do they still make products that use serial or parallel connectors?
>
> Yes.  Cisco routers and Switches, as well as HP's, all have a RJ45 connector
> for the console that is actually a serial port.  I'm configuring one right
> now. All command line stuff. FWIW, the Keyspan USB-to-Serial adapter works
> well.
>
> Yes, you'd think it would be USB, but lots of sites attach a modem to that
> port via serial, so they can admin the router if the ISP or network
> connection goes down.

I want to get one to play with to get the CLI down. I did a bit of work
with them back about 5-6 years ago but not enough to get it into memory
well. I was thinking about purchasing a used one to practice on, I have
a 2511, it is set up as a 16 port serial terminal server, I am not sure if
it will work for me or not. I have all of the docs on it and all of the cables
it has two sets of cables that provide 8 serial ports/cable There are two
8 port connectors. The Ethernet connection is a AUI connector, I need to
find a AUI to UTP converter to put it on my network, but if someone has
a regular router they would like to trade for this device I am game. I would
like to get a router that I can play with and get some hands on while I am
doing the Cisco stuff.

Well, I got interrupted while doing this message, powered up the 2511
and I can get a CLI from it, now I will settle down with the book and
get familiar with the CLI again.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the