Re: [SLUG] Palm Pre - the SmartPhone for us Linux users

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylan@hardison.net)
Date: Thu Feb 11 2010 - 12:24:37 EST

On Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 05:47AM +0000, draeath wrote:
> Well, I got a Palm Pre from Sprint for various reasons. Fully
> intending to go break my warranty, I came across these bits that make
> me stand in shock... I was fully expecting a ring-around-the-rosie
> like Apple pulls... and I was dead wrong.
>
> If you want a SmartPhone that you can get into, and realize that it's
> running Linux (which I did NOT realize) this is the one to look into.
>
> http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/193679-accessing-linux-rooting-your-pre.html
> http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Portal:Accessing_Linux
>
> This phone has wireless. Are there any tools that you all would
> recommend I look into?

Actually, there are currently three smart phones on the market that run
linux. Well, actually more than three -- but three linux-based
"platforms":

1) Android (G1, HTC Touch, droid, Nexus 1...)
2) Maemo (N900)
3) Palm WebOS (I think?) on the Palm Pre.

I think the latter two, and especially the N900, are more "unixy", but
they're all nicely hackable. :-)

Of the Big Four cell phone companies, only one does not offer a
linux-based phone: ATT&T. Gee, I wonder why? ;)

--
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
             -- Japanese Proverb