[SLUG] computer power

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Feb 23 2010 - 15:04:20 EST

I'm building a computer to go in my room. The main criteria are that it not
look like a computer [1] and that it be absolutely silent (i.e., no moving
parts). To those ends, I've chosen to build a case out of hollowed-out
24-packs of steel cans [2], and I have an IDE->CF adapter and a 16GB CF card
to act as a hard drive. I have two questions:

1. I plan to get a DC-DC converter meant for carputers, for example
     http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ260557501046 (obviously it won't sell for
     a penny) and provide 10A@12V with
     http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ120529352027 . Is 120W enough for an Asus
     motherboard running an Athlon CPU and not much else?

2. I know you should minimize writing to Flash cards, maybe by transcribing
    changes at shutdown. How do LiveCD and thumb-drive-Linux designers
    designers cope with a read-only filesystem?

[1] Those of you on Facebook can see what I've done so far by going to my
     only picture gallery. Yes, I'll eventually put it on a more standard
     site, maybe my own.

[2] I hope it gets enough convection going to cool passively. IThe heatsink
     is pretty big -- something by Zalman. In its former case, the CPU
     temperature didn't rise appreciably when the fan stalled.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. -Oscar Wilde ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.