Re: [SLUG] computer power

From: Ron Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Feb 23 2010 - 15:58:58 EST

> I'm building a computer to go in my room. The main criteria are that it
> not look like a computer [1] and that it be absolutely silent (i.e., no
> moving parts). To those ends, I've chosen to build a case out of
> hollowed-out 24-packs of steel cans [2], and I have an IDE->CF adapter
> and a 16GB CF card to act as a hard drive.

   Why not use a mommy board with "heat pipe cooling"?

   Why not use a regular 400 Watt power computer power supply with the boards removed from
the original case and mounted in a rectangular plenum (possibly made of perforated metal
material, mounted at the rear of the main case) with the top and bottom open for
convection cooling?

   Good quality compact flash cards can tolerate writing, they rotate the data around in a
circle to spread the wear out.

   Why not just go out and buy a used Commodore 64?

--
    Ron  KA4INM - I'm proud to be Chuck's pop!