Re: [SLUG] computer power

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Feb 23 2010 - 16:17:13 EST

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Ron Youvan wrote:

>> I'm building a computer to go in my room. The main criteria are that it
>> not look like a computer [1] and that it be absolutely silent (i.e., no
>> moving parts). To those ends, I've chosen to build a case out of
>> hollowed-out 24-packs of steel cans [2], and I have an IDE->CF adapter and
>> a 16GB CF card to act as a hard drive.
>
> Why not use a mommy board with "heat pipe cooling"?

Because I have this (working) motherboard, and I don't want to shell out for
a new MB/RAM/CPU.

> Why not use a regular 400 Watt power computer power supply

Because the cheapest fanless one I see is somewhere north of $100.

> Good quality compact flash cards can tolerate writing, they rotate the data
> around in a circle to spread the wear out.

I'm not aiming for "good enough/will work for a while", I'm aiming for "will
work continually".

> Why not just go out and buy a used Commodore 64?

Wouldn't play MP3s and the occasional movie. Not-modern excanibility.
Can't run modern OSes.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave. -Sir William Drummond ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.