Re: [SLUG] Video File Server

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Feb 23 2010 - 18:17:08 EST

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Chuck Hast wrote:

> Folks,
> I have set up a video file server at my home. This lets me view movies
> and other videos just by going to a web page on the server and entering
> the directory where the videos of interest are (I have both TV series and
> movies and they are broken down into types ect). The whole thing works
> but for one thing, when I select a movie to view, the file is downloaded
> THEN vlc (or movie player it does the same with all of them) starts to
> run. I am trying to figure out what I need to do to start the video player
> once the stream of data starts flowing rather than waiting for the whole
> file to arrive.
>
> Anyone have any ideas as to what I need to do?
>
> I am using lighttpd as the web server, I have the following commands
> setup in the config file:
>
> dir-listing.activate = "enable"

Maybe something like Javascript that spawns a vlc process reading from the
right place (/dev/tcp/$SERVERNAME/80 under bash I think)?

--
-eben     QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP     royalty.mine.nu:81

Q: Why does hamburger have lower energy than steak? A: Because it's in the ground state. -- Harold_of_the_Rocks on Fark ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.