Re: [SLUG] CF card in VMplayer

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Feb 24 2010 - 15:46:20 EST

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, Paul Bransford wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>
>> Ultimately, I'm going to use this card in an IDE -> CF adapter as a boot
>> drive. In the meantime, I need to configure it on my machine. Is it
>> possible to have VMware Player treat it as a bare drive so I can "boot"
>> (in vmplayer) from a Linux install CD and have the installed OS run
>> correctly once it's in its destination? I'd like to do this without
>> shutting down if possible.

> If you can boot grub from IDE or CD, you can try chainloading to the usb
> CF reader. I chainload servers to USB sticks all the time at my workplace
> datacenter. Pretty sure the CF readers are class-compliant mass storage.

OK, I see how that (done on a vmdk, yes?) will boot from the card e.g. to
test the installation, modulo the difference virtualization incurs. Will it
also, outside the bootloader environment, give vmplayer access to the card
as if it were an IDE/SCSI disk so I can install an OS to it?

--
"Never go off on tangents, which are lines that intersect a curve at
only one point and were discovered by Euclid, who lived in the [1st C