Re: [SLUG] CF card in VMplayer

From: Paul Bransford (draeath@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 24 2010 - 16:14:27 EST

Once the kernel loads, it shouldn't matter. The root issue is that the BIOS (virtual or not) doesn't see it as bootable, and grub works around that. Assuming the bios sees it and just doesn't support booting it.

Assuming you install Linux, it should be seen as SCSI generic storage emulation (like thumb drives)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
Eben King wrote:

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, Paul Bransford wrote:

> Eben King wrote:

>> Ultimately, I'm going to use this card in an IDE -> CF adapter as a boot

>> drive. In the meantime, I need to configure it on my machine. Is it

>> possible to have VMware Player treat it as a bare drive so I can "boot"

>> (in vmplayer) from a Linux install CD and have the installed OS run

>> correctly once it's in its destination? I'd like to do this without

>> shutting down if possible.

> If you can boot grub from IDE or CD, you can try chainloading to the usb

> CF reader. I chainload servers to USB sticks all the time at my workplace

> datacenter. Pretty sure the CF readers are class-compliant mass storage.

OK, I see how that (done on a vmdk, yes?) will boot from the card e.g. to

test the installation, modulo the difference virtualization incurs. Will it

also, outside the bootloader environment, give vmplayer access to the card

as if it were an IDE/SCSI disk so I can install an OS to it?

--

"Never go off on tangents, which are lines that intersect a curve at

only one point and were discovered by Euclid, who lived in the [1st C

BC], which was an era dominated by the Goths, who lived in what we now

know as Poland." - from the Nov. 1998 issue of Infosystems Executive.