Re: [SLUG] Intel Speed Step & Ubuntu

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2010 - 00:35:22 EST

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:21:14AM -0400, Danny trotter wrote:

> I am new to this group so if this isn't allowed for me to send questions
> through email please let me know.

That's the whole purpose of this list.

> I have had Ubuntu installed on my laptop since 8.04 LTS and I am currently
> running 9.10. What happens to me is that if any process requires the full
> attention, 1.8ghz, out of my processor for a extended amount of time my
> processor fan will go in to overdrive and it is a LOUD LOUD noise that will
> never quit unless I shut down the computer totally and let it sit for about
> 5min and then start it back up.

It sounds like a bug where the fan control gets latched "on" and won't
unlatch unless you shut down. But I wonder what would happen if you just
let it sit for a long time. Like hours or overnight. Can you plug it
into the wall and try that? I'm betting it will calm down after an
extended period. If so, it's a feature, not a bug. ;-}

With a 1.8 GHz CPU cooped up in a cramped laptop with crappy
circulation, I wouldn't be surprised if the CPU took a very long time to
cool down.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster