Re: [SLUG] Intel Speed Step & Ubuntu

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2010 - 07:29:22 EST

On Friday 26 March 2010, Danny trotter wrote:

> processor fan will go in to overdrive and it is a LOUD LOUD noise that will
> never quit unless I shut down the computer totally and let it sit for about
> 5min and then start it back up.

>From your limited description I do not get the idea that there is something
wrong but simply a CPU that is running hot, and a fan that does what it is
supposed to. How long have you actually run it after it spins up to full
speed? What were you running on the computer while waiting?
Can you actually control the fan from Ubuntu? Being a laptop I would expect it
to be firmware controlled and out of the control of whatever O/S you are
running.

Laptops often have a need for breathing through the bottom of the case.
Sitting on a desk raises it up enough, whereas on something like a bed will
inhibit it from getting full ventilation.

An option is to buy a cooling unit which the laptop sits on and is cooling the
laptop from the bottom. There are several designs which provides this
functionality.

You did not include the brand and model of your laptop, I would google using
the model and loud fan to see if others have the same complaint. It is more
likely to be a loud design than something wrong.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin