Re: [SLUG] Intel Speed Step & Ubuntu

From: Donald E Haselwood (dhaselwood@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2010 - 10:37:57 EST

I have a Toshiba L355 with Ubuntu 9.10 (and Vista). When I plug in two
USB<->RS232 converters for a project I'm working on (with Ubuntu) the fan
will come on full speed after a while and never go off until I shut down.
The keyboard would feel warm and the fan would start, and after a while with
this is with this cold weather (this was all being done in the garage), it
would be quite cool, but the fan was still going full blast. Shutting down
and rebooting the fan would then be off. It was like, once started the fan
doesn't shut down.

Concerning overheating--
My daughter has a Toshiba laptop and she ended up with a cooling stand, but
eventually that was not enough. The machine wouldn't make it through bootup
frequently. I took a shop-vac and stuck the nozzle over the air intake. (It
really gets the fan spinning!) A lot of cat hair got sucked out and the
machine worked just fine. Cleaning the heat-pipe would have been best, but
to get at it requires virtually *total* disassembly of the machine. The shop
vac was quick and sufficient.

Don